WHAT IS PELVIC HEALTH PHYSIOTHERAPY?
Pelvic health physiotherapists are musculoskeletal physiotherapist’s who have specific training in assessing and treating pelvic related conditions in both male and females.
There are many conditions classified under pelvic health. Some of the conditions that a pelvic health physiotherapist can help with include:
- Urinary Incontinence
- Urinary Urgency and Frequency
- Faecal incontinence
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Bowel issues
- Pelvic Pain
- Pregnancy (<12 weeks)
- Post-Natal (6weeks – 1year)
- Post-surgery (c-section, hysterectomy, prostatectomy)
- Hip pain
- Low back pain
THE LACK OF VOLUNTARY CONTROL OF URINATION OR DEFECATION
IT IS COMMON, BUT IT IS NOT NORMAL
– it can be managed
- Up to 80% of women experience incontinence during pregnancy and 30% will continue to experience incontinence after childbirth.
- Over 50% of women will develop a prolapse after menopause.
- At least 95% of men will experience incontinence after prostatectomy.
WHO IS THE PELVIC HEALTH PHYSIOTHERAPIST AT FOX PHYSIO?
Laura How is our pelvic health physiotherapist at Fox Physio, she has a passion to help both males and females in the area of pelvic health.
She continues to upskill by completing pelvic health related courses (in person and online) to be able to provide up to date and accurate assessment and treatment for her clients
Laura is a kind and confidential practitioner that will make you feel comfortable in your consultation.
WHAT IS AN INTERNAL PELVIC FLOOR ASSESSMENT?
An internal pelvic floor assessment is the best way to assess the pelvic floor muscle function. An internal examination can include either an internal vaginal or internal rectal examination. Pelvic health physiotherapists have specific training to perform these assessments.
This assessment does not have to occur at the first appointment and there is never any pressure to proceed with this type of assessment or treatment unless you are absolutely comfortable.
PELVIC HEALTH PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENTS MAY INCLUDE:
- Stress management
- Relaxation strategies
- Manual therapy – internal and external
- Dry needling
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Pelvic floor muscle exercises
- Bladder and bowel diaries
- Bladder and bowel training
- Home management plans for ongoing treatment.
PELVIC HEALTH PHYSIOTHERAPY FEES AND INSURANCE COVERAGE
(As of 1st June 2022)
Initial appointment – 60 minutes – $130
Follow up – 45 minutes – $90
Initial appointment – 60 minutes – $65
Follow up – 45 minutes – $50
You are more than welcome to bring a support person and your baby or children with you.